Tag Archives: walk
It’s the last Tuesday in March. Spring is imminent. You’re urging for a cleanse or a detox, which is in alignment with the Yogic science of Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a type of holistic medicine practiced in India involving homeopathic remedies. In Ayurveda, they believe that cleansing is best done at the turn of the sping and at the turn of fall (contrary to the New Years Resolutions so many Westerners make). Their belief comes from the change in seasons, weather, and fresh produce available.
As the weather warmed early this year, try some of the tips below to get your cleanse on without getting crabby or wishing you could throw the cleanse out the window:
1) Drink warm water with lemon: Lemon juice is a gentle laxative and the warm water will aid the processing of the lemon juice into your system. This is best done first thing in the morning and the last thing before bed at night, but can be done any time.
2) 5 minutes of quiet: Mentally detox each day with 5 minutes that are computer/ phone/ gadget free and in quiet. Just 5 minutes. Even you can do it.
3) Vow to have one all-natural meal per day: Try to have one meal that is chemical-free (i.e. NOT a Lean Cuisine!). Have a large salad with hormone-free chicken. Have an all fruit Jamba Juice smoothie. Have some sushi (but not with the mayo!).
4) Drink more water: You know you need to. Make it interesting with cucumber slices, lemon slices, orange segments, and other fruit. Try herbal tea. Drink more water and see the results in clearer skin, brighter eyes, and a happier body!
5) Get your 20 minutes of sunshine: Make time for 20 minutes outside, especially when the sun is out. A 20 minute walk per day can change your life as it serves many purposes. First, 20 minutes is how long of cardio you need to do before endophins, or the feel-good chemicals of the brain, are released. Second, as Chicagoans, we all need more Vitamin D from the sun! Low Vitamin D contributes to depression and mood swings. Get outside to get feeling good!